With direct flights from many North American cities, getting to Montréal is easy. Across various levels—from municipal to national—transport authorities have created prudent guidelines to ensure public safety.
Montréal’s main airport, Montréal-Trudeau International (YUL), has created a Travel with Confidence program. This includes such precautions as:
- Limited access to the airport. Only travellers and employees are permitted in the terminal building.
- Health checkpoints where passengers are required to sanitizer their hands, answer questions to determine symptoms associated with COVID-19, and temperature readings.
- Automated (touchless) washroom sinks, soap dispensers and hand dryers.
- Baggage carts disinfected and cleaned after every use.
For a visual trip through the Montréal-Trudeau International airport, watch this short clip:
Taxi, Uber, Limousines
Personal transport drivers in Montréal have been provided with guidelines from the provincial public health institute (available here in French). Here are just some of the safety precautions:
- The interiors of all taxis and Ubers are cleaned after each use.
- Plexiglass barriers between the front and back seats have been installed whenever possible.
- Drivers are required to wear masks.
- Passenger numbers are limited, including no access to the front passenger seat.
- Natural aeration of the passenger compartment as often as possible (temperature permitting). Drivers are instructed to not use recirculation ventilation.
- Possibility of cancelling a ride without penalty by the driver or by the passenger if safety is a concern.
Furthermore, taxi drivers licensed to operate at YUL will be required to clean their cars between each customer, to wear a mask, and to wash their hands regularly. Some vehicles will be equipped with a plexiglass screen separating the front seats from the passenger seats. Passengers can make a request to the dispatcher (at the arrivals level) to use one these vehicles.
- To limit interactions, passengers are asked to enter by the front of the bus and exit by the back.
- Travel outside of rush hours is encouraged.
- Shuttle services offers plexiglass dividers and transports clients one at a time.
- Vehicles are cleaned and disinfected between each use.
VIA Rail (train travel)
- Reduction of seat numbers available.
- Passengers are required to respect distancing measures with each other whenever possible.
- No on-train food or beverage service is offered, but all passengers receive a free snack and bottle of water.