Montréal is known around the world for its expertise in aerospace development. The city is home to Aéro Montréal, Canada’s largest aerospace cluster and the third largest concentration of international aerospace organizations in North America.
Industry and thought leadership
Montréal’s thriving aerospace industry is driven by 42,000 professionals who work at 200 companies that generate a $15.5 billion in annual revenue and 52% of Canadian aerospace sales. Some of the major players operating in Montréal include Bombardier Aerospace, Pratt & Whitney Canada, CAE, Bell Helicopter Textron Canada and Rolls-Royce Canada. Thanks to their combined products, Montréal is one of the few cities in the world where you can find all the components needed to manufacture an aircraft.
Local know-how doesn’t stop at manufacturing. Several international aerospace organizations are based in Montréal, including:
- ICAO – International Civil Aviation Organization
- IATA – International Air Transport Association
- IBAC – International Business Aviation Council
- CIFA – International Council for Aerospace Training
- IFALPA – International Federation of Air Line Pilots’ Associations
- ACI – Airports Council International
Research and development
With 10 of the world’s top aerospace research centres, Montréal is continually pushing the industry to new heights. The city has four universities whose aerospace programs produce a combined total of 5,000 graduates per year. These new engineers and scientists bring fresh ideas into established R&D groups to spark innovation and keep Montréal at the forefront of the field.
Montréal’s leading aerospace research centres include:
- MIAE – McGill Institute for Aerospace Engineering
- CIADI – Canadian Institute of Aerospace Design and Innovation at Concordia University
- ICIA – Institut de conception et d’Innovation en Aérospatiale at ÉTS
- IICAP – Institute of Innovation and Conception in Aerospace of Polytechnique
- GEME Aero Research Group – Université du Québec à Montréal's School of Management
Past and upcoming events
- AHS International’s 76th Annual Forum, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, May 2020 (Delegates: 1200)
- ISASI 2020 Canada, International Society of Air Safety Investigators, September 2020 (Delegates: 250)
- Aeromart, BCI Aerospace, April 2019 (Delegates: 1300)
- International Aerospace Week, Aéro Montréal, April 2019 (Delegates: 1300)