Customs information

(For delegates and exhibitors)

Personal Identification

Visitors entering Canada must present a valid passport and, in most cases, a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is mandatory for visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to Canada. While U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa are exempt, all those with passports from other countries (Europe, Australia, etc.) may need to obtain an eTA. You can apply here.

Before entering Canada, all visitors are responsible for ensuring that they have the required documents necessary, whether they are travelling through to another country or returning to their country of origin. For the complete details, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.


Work Permits

Organizers and administrative staff of international meetings or conventions being held in Canada do not need a work permit. However, people providing “hands-on” services at these events must have a work permit. For example: audiovisual services, show decorating, building, installing and dismantling exhibits.

Please refer to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a detailed listing of jobs that do not require a work permit.    


A customs broker indicates to you and your exhibitors the steps to follow to facilitate the entry of goods for your event in Montréal. The broker provides customs information to be included in the exhibitor guide, and offers advice and personalized assistance throughout your convention, and can act on your behalf with the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Shipping: Your appointed customs broker can take care of shipping material to your event (programs, gifts, audiovisual equipment, textiles, etc.), facilitate the customs process and avoid delivery delays. He can also act on your behalf, particularly if you need to store material in Canada prior to or after the event.

Finally, your customs broker can arrange for a tax rebate on your behalf.

Find a customs broker here.

(for Organizers and Exhibitors)

International Events and Convention Services Program

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) offers an International Events and Convention Services Program (IECSP), a single window border service offered within the framework of planning international events and meetings taking place in Canada. 

Consult the Canada Border Services Agency website and follow the step-by-step procedures.


Tax Rebate
(For foreign convention sponsors, foreign convention organizers and non-resident exhibitors)

To claim a rebate on federal tax on products and services and harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) and provincial tax (QST) on facility rental or convention supplies, please refer to the online information provided by the Government of Canada for up-to-date tax rebate information.

You can appoint a customs broker to take care of the tax rebate process for you.

For any further information on customs, contact us, we will be happy to assist you.